OpenTech Releases Detailed Kiosk Usage Data for the First Half of 2008

PHOENIX, Arizona –September 03, 2008– OpenTech Alliance, Inc. today announced it has exceeded the $11 million mark in rental fees collected by its INSOMNIAC kiosks at their client’s self storage facilities across North America, with the most recent $1 million dollars in revenue being collected in June. In an ongoing effort to become a transparent company, OpenTech released detailed kiosk usage numbers for the first six months of 2008, giving the self storage industry the opportunity to see for themselves how much consumers utilize and benefit from the use of self service kiosks.

Self storage owners have already purchased over 400 INSOMNIAC kiosks to date. OpenTech reported 206 kiosks were online as of January 1, 2008 and another 56 came online during the period ending June 30, 2008. For the first half of 2008, consumers used INSOMNIAC kiosks to rent 3,925 storage units, make 31,984 payments, and purchase 1,456 locks, representing a total of $ 3,719,772 in self service transactions.


“The data clearly shows a high percentage of kiosk use during operating hours, which affirms my contention that while the human touch is great, many renters will use technology to execute a transaction, both from a rental and payment processing perspective. The reduced costs associated with a machine versus an employee are significant; a kiosk does not take a day off, very rarely calls in sick, and never presents a life safety issue when dealing with cash” said RK Kliebenstein Leader of Coast-To-Coast Storage.

09_03_08_pic3“INSOMNIAC kiosks can serve as a hedge against increasing expenses in this tough economic climate. The kiosks give self storage owners the ability to reduce their staffing expense without sacrificing customer service” said Robert Chiti President and CEO of OpenTech Alliance.

Currently in 2008, 48% of moves ins and payments took place outside of office hours. This proves there is a tremendous opportunity for storage owners to acquire more customers by being open for business outside of regular office hours. The other 52% of kiosk usage occurred during regular office hours. This clearly shows the kiosks complement on-site managers and demonstrates that customers are comfortable using self-service technology.

Credit cards are the preferred method of payments at the kiosk. However, the use of cash and checks represents over 50% in total payments made at the kiosk. With all three forms being used a great deal the need for providing consumers with an on premise payment system that supports all three forms of payment is a must.

OpenTech Alliance, Inc. is the leading developer of self-storage kiosks. Its INSOMNIAC line of self-storage kiosks reduce operating costs, increase revenue, and drastically improve customer service for self-storage facilities. For more information or to see an online demo, please visit or call (602) 749-9370.

Press Contact:
Carol Castillo
Marketing Assistant
OpenTech Alliance, Inc.
602-749-9370 Ext 114

NOTE TO EDITORS: OpenTech Alliance, the OpenTech logo and INSOMNIAC are trademarks of OpenTech Alliance, Inc. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners. INSOMNIAC is protected by U.S. patent number 5,946,660.

Recommended Posts

No comment yet, add your voice below!

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *