9 14 img

OpenTech Releases Detailed Kiosk Usage Data for the First Half of 2010

PHOENIX, Arizona – September 14, 2010– OpenTech Alliance, Inc. today announced it has exceeded the 38 million dollar mark in rental fees collected by its INSOMNIAC kiosks at their client’s self storage facilities across North America, with over $9M of that amount being collected in the first half of 2010. In their ongoing effort to be a transparent company, OpenTech is releasing these detailed kiosk usage numbers for the first six months of 2010 and will publish the 2010 Kiosk Usage White Paper early next year.  This level of transparency gives the self storage industry the opportunity to see how consumers are adopting the self service channel. This trend towards self service should come as no surprise since consumers by the millions are opting to make purchases over the internet instead of face to face with a human.

 Self storage owners have already purchased over 500 INSOMNIAC kiosks to date.  OpenTech reported 427 kiosks were online as of January 1, 2010 and another 41 came online during the period ending June 30, 2010.  For the first half of 2010, consumers used INSOMNIAC kiosks to rent 8,778 storage units, make 76,389 payments, and purchase 4,652 locks, representing a total of $9,265,998


“INSOMNIAC kiosks can serve as a hedge against increasing expenses in this tough economic climate.  The kiosks give self storage owners the ability to reduce their staffing expense without sacrificing customer service” said Robert Chiti President and CEO of OpenTech Alliance.

For the first half of 2010, 47% of moves-ins and payments took place outside of office hours.  This proves there is a tremendous opportunity for storage owners to acquire more customers by being open for business outside of regular office hours.  The other 53% of kiosk usage occurred during regular office hours. This clearly shows the kiosks complement on-site managers and demonstrates that customers are comfortable using self-service technology.


Credit cards are the preferred method of payments at the kiosk.  However, the use of cash and checks represents 48% in total payments made at the kiosk.  With all three forms being used a great deal the need for providing consumers with an on premise payment system that supports all three forms of payment is a must.

OpenTech Alliance, Inc. is the leading developer of innovative solutions for the self storage industry.  The company’s products and services include seven models of INSOMNIAC Kiosks ranging from $4,900 to $18,000, INSOMNIAC Live!  call center services and the INSOMNIAC Self Storage Network for online storage reservations.  OpenTech solutions improve customer convenience, reduce operating costs and increase revenues for self-storage operators. For more information please visit www.opentechalliance.com or call (602) 749-9370.

Press Contact:
OpenTech Alliance, Inc.
(602) 749-9370

NOTE TO EDITORS: OpenTech Alliance, the OpenTech logo and INSOMNIAC are trademarks of OpenTech Alliance, Inc. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners. INSOMNIAC is protected by U.S. patent number 5,946,660.


Recommended Posts

No comment yet, add your voice below!

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *